Bhutan has only one international airport. Together Druk Air and Bhutan Airlines – the two airlines operating in Bhutan – fly to Bangkok, Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai, Bodh Gaya, Dhaka, Kathmandu, Guwahati and Singapore.
Within Bhutan, there are domestic flights to Yonphula in eastern Bhutan, Bumthang in central Bhutan, and Gelephu in south-central Bhutan.
You can also enter Bhutan by road through Samdrup Jongkhar in southeast Bhutan, Gelephu in south-central Bhutan, and Phuentsholing in southwest Bhutan. Phuentsholing is located about 170 km east of the Indian airport of Bagdogra. Samdrup Jongkhar and Gelephu are about 100 kilometres and 130 kilometers respectively from the airport at Guwahati, the capital of the Indian state of Assam.
All major towns and important places of visit are connected by a good road network. However, the roads come with innumerable curves and bends, steep ascents and descents that slow down the car travels. The roads are well sealed but the rides can still be bumpy as the lanes are single and narrow at most points.
Tourists must obtain visa clearance through us before travelling to Bhutan. The actual visa is stamped upon your arrival. The Tourism Council of Bhutan approves your visa clearance only after receiving the full tour payment including the visa fee of USD 40 along with a scanned color photocopy of your passport which should be at least six months valid.
The tariff for group of 3 or more:
- USD $200 per person per night for January, February, June, July, August, December.
- USD $250 per person per night for March, April, May, September, October, November.
- For a single person, a surcharge of USD 40 per night will be added; for a group of two persons a surcharge of USD 30 per night per person will be added; for a single supplement, USD 40 a night will be added.
- A minimum of 3-star accommodations, one room sharing basis (4 & 5-star require an additional premium).
- All meals
- Guide services
- All internal transport/sightseeing
- Camping equipment and haulage for trekking tours.
- All internal taxes, fees and charges
- Tourism royalty of USD 65.